The "Me" Generation
It started so early this year! Usually I get to midterm before they start asking. The questions are always phrased differently, but they all mean the same thing: "Why should I keep doing this Honors English class?" Why should I devote myself to something that requires work on my part when I don't even get to see the results of it until the end of the year? And by then who cares? What good is this doing for me? Earlier today, the second such inquiry of the year made its way to my classroom. I answered as I usually do, saying nothing more than what was in the contract that students sign at the beginning of the year, yet whenever I hear such questions, I can't help but feel a little frustrated by the utter selfishness of them: What good does it do for ME? What do I get out of it? Where is MY payoff? And then I am left with some questions of my own: Is this an honorable attitude towards education? Does such an attitude merit "honors" credit?
Most often, the "Me" generation weed themselves out before May, but there are always a couple who hang on to the bitter end, complaining the entire time: So much extra work and no immediate reward! What's the point?! These folks interrogate me as if it's my fault that they are in the class, as if I physically tied them to a computer, forced them to join the discussion board and create a blog, and then held the pen in their hand and compelled them to sign the contract. What gives?
One of last year's star students--a student who excelled in Science Olympiad, NAL, Honor Society, and a host of other activities--wrote this. Trust her! She's on your side, and she's got some good advice. (And, no, I didn't pay her to say these things!)
To the majority of you -- those who have dutifully completed the requirements of the class and made an honorable effort to read a challenging book, write a genuinely interesting blog, participate on the discussion board and engage your classmates in thought-provoking dialogue: thank you!
To that handful still wondering if it's worth all this effort, remember what I told you at the beginning: You get out of the class what you put into. Honest effort and self-challenge will pay huge dividends now and later on. But if you're just looking for the easiest way to get honors credit without actually learning anything or improving yourself in any way, you're in the wrong place. You volunteered to be here; you don't have to stay.
Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out.
Most often, the "Me" generation weed themselves out before May, but there are always a couple who hang on to the bitter end, complaining the entire time: So much extra work and no immediate reward! What's the point?! These folks interrogate me as if it's my fault that they are in the class, as if I physically tied them to a computer, forced them to join the discussion board and create a blog, and then held the pen in their hand and compelled them to sign the contract. What gives?
One of last year's star students--a student who excelled in Science Olympiad, NAL, Honor Society, and a host of other activities--wrote this. Trust her! She's on your side, and she's got some good advice. (And, no, I didn't pay her to say these things!)
To the majority of you -- those who have dutifully completed the requirements of the class and made an honorable effort to read a challenging book, write a genuinely interesting blog, participate on the discussion board and engage your classmates in thought-provoking dialogue: thank you!
To that handful still wondering if it's worth all this effort, remember what I told you at the beginning: You get out of the class what you put into. Honest effort and self-challenge will pay huge dividends now and later on. But if you're just looking for the easiest way to get honors credit without actually learning anything or improving yourself in any way, you're in the wrong place. You volunteered to be here; you don't have to stay.
Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out.
5 Comments:
I'm actually still excited to do Honors English. I started out by thinking I can always quit if I get bored, but know it's like I love Honors English I can't wait to go on to the disscousion board and talk to the other members. I would seriously cry if I had to quit.
Seriously...I dont know what they are complaining about! I really like honors english cause it gives me a chance to write on a frequant baces...and to work on my HORRIBLE spelling!
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I think that Honors English is fun, it lets me meet new people and have people checking my work without them being rude or something because (I think) most people in the Honors English people are funny and nice.
It is sad that you should have to deal with people saying that for and extra-curicular activity
Post a Comment
<< Home