Thursday, May 25, 2006

Falcon Finale: LA Student of the Year 2006

"Who cares?"

Strange as it may seem, that's the question I ask myself when I try to decide which of the brilliant and capable students in the Honors English class will be recognized as the Language Arts Student of the Year.

"Who cares?"


  • Who cares enough to do all the blogs and discussion posts on time even though the class is an extra-curricular course for which no formal grade is given?
  • Who cares enough to let a genuine voice come through in her writing, knowing that everyone in the class can read it?
  • Who cares enough to read and respond to the writing of her classmates (and sometimes her teacher, too)?
  • Who cares enough to set the example that many of those classmates will follow?

It goes without saying that she is a straight-A student and that all of her work is of the highest quality, but this year's language arts student of the year has consistently set herself apart as one of the most mature and capable writers of the bunch. The words come easy to her and she shares them willingly. And, oh, that written voice. The light touch. The subtle humor. She leads her readers right where she wants them to be. Whether it is whale watching with her dad in California, making muddy buddies with her friend, or getting physically stuck in a dog house and having to be rescued by her mom, she has covered it all in her blogs, which are by turns hysterically funny and profoundly wise.

I had the pleasure of reading the continuing saga of her life and times as a ninth grader. I looked forward to a new installment each week, and I hope she continues her entries even after leaving junior high.

"Who cares?"

This year's Language Arts Student of the Year does: Hailee Cox

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yes! I agree! She is one of the strongest, most capable writers here. I think she really deserves this. She has done everything you have said. Congradulations!

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home