Sunday, September 24, 2006

First Impressions

We've been in session for a month, and I have resisted posting a new blog so that anyone in the class who happened across my "Welcome" message would see it at the top of this blog if they bothered to click on my little emoticon. Those who haven't seen it by now probably aren't going to bother reading the teacher's blog, so I am going to get back to my routine. Believe it or not, I actually look forward to writing in this blog. (And while I may not post every week, you'll soon see that my word count on many posts far exceeds that which is required of you.)

I am particularly excited about this year's class for one simple reason: I sense more enthusiasm than I ever have. The activity on the discussion board is incredible, and it appears that most of you have already figured out how the blogs work even if you haven't yet figured out exactly what you want to say. (And some of you have said some very profound and thought provoking things.) Many of you have finished your required novel for the term, and a handful of you have already done the apostrophe tutorial (parts 1 and 2!). Also, the sheer number of people who have shown an interest is far beyond any other year. It is very encouraging; it gives me hope that there are still some readers and writers (and, therefore, thinkers!) left in the world. It will be interesting to see how long this enthusiasm lasts. I hope it continues all year.

There are a few things about this online class that I especially like. You may have noticed that some of the most "vocal" participants on the discussion board--those whose personalities show very clearly even in writing--are students who seldom say anything out loud in a traditional class. Here, everyone has an equal opportunity to participate and be heard. We all know what it's like to sit in a classroom where the teacher's pet practically quivers with anticipation to answer every question and voice his/her every thought, while the rest of the class sits in silent resentment. That can't happen here because if you really have something to say, there is nothing stopping you except your own insecurity. Throughout the year, I hope we can refine our conversations so that everyone will respect what everyone else has to say, even when we disagree, and we will all feel comfortable enough to participate.

Another thing I like about this class is that the blogs offer a built in audience (besides a teacher) for your writing. I am glad to see that many of you have already started reading and responding to each other's writing. This exchange of ideas is a very important aspect of genuine education. Learning does not take place in a vacuum, and as long as we are all willing to think outside our own "box," we'll have a rich environment for intellectual development. When you comment on your classmates' work, you are not only working on your own writing skills, but you are also shaping a dialogue that could make all of us see things in a new light. If one of your classmates writes something you disagree with, don't be afraid to say so -- but please keep your comments respectful and free of anger. (The hardest writing trait to develop is Voice because sometimes when we care enough about something to write it down, our emotions creep in, but practice makes perfect.)

Depending on how things go this first term, we may decide to have some after-school meetings next term where we can talk about the books we're reading and/or share some of our writing aloud. (There is a function called Audioblogging that will allow you to post spoken messages, but it's not quite the same as hearing it in person.) Although I am the teacher, my real purpose here is to encourage you to teach one another. I take my cues from you! I've never done this class the same way twice because no two classes have ever had exactly the same personality. I just wanted you to know that, so far, this class looks to be a great one!

Keep it up!

(Those of you who chose to read Pride and Prejudice this term might be interested to know that the title of this blog was also the original title for that novel. Can you see why?)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Mr. T, my year wasn't that bad, was it?

HEY EVERYONE! LISTEN TO MR. T! When you don't agree with someone and you want to say something about it, be kind. I got into an all out war with this kid in the General Discussion board because I made a board where I could talk to myself because noone would talk back, because I was on there more then everyone else. He got on my board and told me he hated me and called me a spammer. I got mad and started yelling (well, as best you can through typing anyway). Everyone took his side and told me to stop yelling. It made me mad like none other. I told them all to leave me alone, and I even stopped talking to most of them at school. I told them to leave me alone. It was my board, and I could talk to myself all I wanted. But then I don't remember what happened, but I deleted the board and stopped arguing with everyone. But all of this makes me sound bad. It wasn't that. It was the fact that he had to say something about what I was doing, and he couldn't find anyway to tell me nicely. I'm not sure why everyone took his side though. But if any of you are rude to me, you will regret it. I don't take to rudeness very well. But for those of you who know me, please help me convince everyone else that I'm a really nice person. This comment makes me sound like a grouchy old witch, but that's not me at all. It's just that's a very touchy subject for me...

7:14 AM  
Blogger -Lenny- said...

Hey Mr.T! great blog, great blog indeed, it sounds like this years honors english class will be quite interesting. I will be posting every once in a while just to keep in touch. Have a nice day!

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home