Students of the Month: May 2016
Kate "Goddesses of Light and Animals" Finlinson never does
anything halfway. If I asked students
to close read an article, Kate’s margin commentary often contained more words
than the article did. When presented with a complicated essay question, while
her classmates were racking their brains for an angle from which to begin, she
could just start writing. Maybe her thesis statement didn’t appear until
halfway down the page, but by the time she was finished, there was no one in
the room with as COMPLETE a response. (And it doesn’t hurt that her meticulous
printing is super easy on a teacher’s eyes.) Even way back in September, I had
already made a mental note that Kate was the one who always went far beyond
mere requirements: She didn’t stop just because the assignment only called for
a paragraph or a certain number of words. She wrote until her answer had
covered all the bases and angles. Kate once wrote that she liked the Greek
Goddess Athena because she was “witty, smart, and the Goddess of War. I like
how she is highly respected…considered to be a role model….” Well, Kate, the
same could be said of you! Thank you for your year-long sustained best effort
that I should have said something about before now because I really do appreciate
and admire it. And I’m glad I had this opportunity to tell you so!
I don’t know exactly how
many late assignments Trace Erickson turned in this year, but I am pretty sure I can’t
count that high on just fingers and toes. This may seem like a strange way to
begin a speech that is supposed to honor
him, but bear with me. From his journal: “I have just returned from another
hard B-day with Thompson nagging me about my loads of missing work (which, I’ll
have you know, WILL get done!)….” He then proceeded to describe in lip-licking
detail the cookies, omelets, and other goodies he consumed that day, finishing
with this bold claim: “Food makes teenagers happy!” Everything Trace wrote or
said this year was infused with such enthusiasm, and on the last day of last
term, he did indeed submit a pile of assignments to salvage his grade. I always
sensed that if Trace focused half as much on his homework as he did on telling
his stories to the class, he wouldn’t have had to do all this last-minute
make-up work. But, see, it was those stories that convinced me to nominate him
for this recognition. Trace, more than any student in the Honors English class,
was ALWAYS willing to participate, share, engage in the content and the
literature. No matter what it was about or how boring it was to the rest of the
class, Trace found ways to make it interesting. There were days when that
early-morning collection of half-asleep ninth graders was almost more than I
could handle – just speaking into a silent void while they did whatever I asked
without question or enthusiasm. That was when Trace was at his finest. That was
when we would get a round-about story regarding something one of his older
brothers told him about the novel or the assignment, and he recently punctuated
one such tale with his typically enthusiastic, “I’ve been waiting all year for
this!” So even though he doesn’t chase the A’s quite as passionately as some of
his classmates, Trace does appreciate the power of a good story and the words
that make a joke funny. He understands that language is how we give voice to
our lives, and, Trace, I have always appreciated your voice in my classroom.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home