Friday, May 13, 2011

Student of the Month: May 2011

I should probably admit that it isn’t actually my turn this month to present this award for the Language Arts department. It was supposed to be someone else’s turn, but I still had one special student that very much deserved to be recognized, and I knew the end of the year was coming, so….well, here I am.

There is a reason students like Melanie Alvarez sometimes don’t get selected as Students of the Month until late in the year. It’s because we teachers sometimes just don’t notice them in the chaos of the classroom. It takes us a while to recognize the efforts of these quiet students who are working hard and turning in all their assignments all year, never complaining or causing trouble.

Melanie is a straight-A student and an accomplished soccer player. She was one of only four freshmen on the Layton High soccer team this year, but the only reason I know this is because she is also a gifted writer whose work I have been reading all year, and she has written about some of her experiences. Many student athletes allow their school work to suffer for their sport, but Melanie never did. She is not only a dedicated athlete, but a fine student, and because of her writing, I know she also has a keen sense of humor, which I may not have otherwise known because she is so quiet in class.

Like I said, sometimes we take such students for granted. But, Melanie, I just want you to know that I don’t take you for granted. I was glad every day you came into my room because it is students like you that make the rest of them tolerable, and I’m glad I got to give you this recognition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home