Following Instructions II
I'm writing this from the computer lab at school. Today my classes are working on their I-Search projects, and it is amazingly quiet in here. Part of the reason for this is that the new computers in the lab actually work, which is nice. Much more productive activity takes place and not so much moaning of "It's so sloooowww!" Anyway, last period I called for the assignment that was due at the end of the hour; it was a worksheet that asked students to evaluate three web sites. They have had it in their possession since last week, and they had this entire period to finish it as well, so I thought most of them would surely turn it in complete. I was stunned when only about ten students out of 34 turned it in at all...and half of those weren't finished. The instructions were clear, written not only on the board in the lab but also on my web site; then, to please those like Tieger Lily, who like it spelled out clearly in person, I announced it all to the class. It would have been impossible to NOT know what was due and when. The instructions were clear, but more than half the class just opted not to follow them. What gives?
Along these lines, I've just been reading some of the discussion board entries for the past few weeks, and I am starting to notice a pattern. I always make it a point to write a very specific question with specific instructions for how it should be answered. I often say, "Write a complete response," or something to that effect in order to ensure that you are not only answering the question, but also supporting your answer with evidence from your own experience and/or the book we are reading. Yet some of you are still responding with the absolute least effort possible...and in many cases you are NOT following the instructions by doing so. (It reminds me a bit of a blog I wrote a few weeks back.) Take, for example, this question from a few weeks back:
The discussion assignment this week is to post (or link to) a copy of a poem or some song lyrics that are particularly meaningful to you and explain a) the meaning, b) why it is meaningful to you, and c) how the song or poem applies to your own experiences.
To do all those things would take at least a paragraph, right? Probably more. I even posted an example of my own to show what sort of response I wanted. My example was as long as some of my blog entries. It made specific reference not only to the lyrics of the song, but also to my own life. I poured my heart and soul into that response! It took me some time and effort to write it. I was trying to model what I wanted you to do, as all good teachers should.
Does it surprise you, then, when I read Josh's response: "I like this song because it talks about being rich and famous." Does this response explain a) the meaning of the song, b) why it is meaningful, or c) how it relates to his own life?
Here's Caleb's response: "I like this song, because it talks about keeping promises." Yes? AND...? Meaning? Personal significance?
Katie: "I love this song! It gets me so pumped up! I don't know why I love it so much i just do."
Kayla: "Because it show what else is out there I think in Kaysville we have a sheild around us and we don't realize what else is out there."
Um, excuse me, folks, but these responses, while they may make general statements about why the songs are good, contain no specifics at all...and, frankly, they don't meet the requirements of the question. And these hapless four that I just happened to come across first are not the only ones who have been hedging on their discussion entries lately. You know who you are!
But here's the part that flummoxes me: Why are people (in classes and in other life circumstances) so bold about NOT FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS? Is it because the world has become so accepting of mediocrity, so willing to tolerate below average performance? Is it that we EXPECT people not to do things the right way? Or maybe that we expect to always be forgiven when we do it wrong? Do we need everything spoon fed to us?
I'd like to hear what you have to say about it...but in the mean time, I still expect you to follow ALL the instructions, not just the easy ones.
Along these lines, I've just been reading some of the discussion board entries for the past few weeks, and I am starting to notice a pattern. I always make it a point to write a very specific question with specific instructions for how it should be answered. I often say, "Write a complete response," or something to that effect in order to ensure that you are not only answering the question, but also supporting your answer with evidence from your own experience and/or the book we are reading. Yet some of you are still responding with the absolute least effort possible...and in many cases you are NOT following the instructions by doing so. (It reminds me a bit of a blog I wrote a few weeks back.) Take, for example, this question from a few weeks back:
The discussion assignment this week is to post (or link to) a copy of a poem or some song lyrics that are particularly meaningful to you and explain a) the meaning, b) why it is meaningful to you, and c) how the song or poem applies to your own experiences.
To do all those things would take at least a paragraph, right? Probably more. I even posted an example of my own to show what sort of response I wanted. My example was as long as some of my blog entries. It made specific reference not only to the lyrics of the song, but also to my own life. I poured my heart and soul into that response! It took me some time and effort to write it. I was trying to model what I wanted you to do, as all good teachers should.
Does it surprise you, then, when I read Josh's response: "I like this song because it talks about being rich and famous." Does this response explain a) the meaning of the song, b) why it is meaningful, or c) how it relates to his own life?
Here's Caleb's response: "I like this song, because it talks about keeping promises." Yes? AND...? Meaning? Personal significance?
Katie: "I love this song! It gets me so pumped up! I don't know why I love it so much i just do."
Kayla: "Because it show what else is out there I think in Kaysville we have a sheild around us and we don't realize what else is out there."
Um, excuse me, folks, but these responses, while they may make general statements about why the songs are good, contain no specifics at all...and, frankly, they don't meet the requirements of the question. And these hapless four that I just happened to come across first are not the only ones who have been hedging on their discussion entries lately. You know who you are!
But here's the part that flummoxes me: Why are people (in classes and in other life circumstances) so bold about NOT FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS? Is it because the world has become so accepting of mediocrity, so willing to tolerate below average performance? Is it that we EXPECT people not to do things the right way? Or maybe that we expect to always be forgiven when we do it wrong? Do we need everything spoon fed to us?
I'd like to hear what you have to say about it...but in the mean time, I still expect you to follow ALL the instructions, not just the easy ones.
1 Comments:
Trey,
I'm not sure I would say "most" of last year's class was any better at following all the instructions than this year's. You just happened to be one of the few that always did it as I asked. Actually, you usually did MORE than I asked, which is a product of making the assignments (even the silly ones) your own. That is genuine learning.
Post a Comment
<< Home