Warmin' Up
Okay, I admit that I'm disappointed and a bit discouraged about the voting. We've been locked in 16th place for three days, and despite all my screaming about "Vote All Night! Sleep All Day!" for this UEA weekend (when students don't have to be in school), we tallied less than 700 votes between midnight and 7:00 this morning, and most of them were mine. Granted, this is the first night of the long weekend. Maybe everyone is just planning to vote during the day. (It does seem a little faster today.) Maybe the big push will be tonight. One way or another, we are now to the point that in order to start moving up, we need to get 10,000 votes a day, every day, from here on out. Based on last night's voting, I'm skeptical about that happening. But I'm not giving up!
One of my favorite movies is called One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. There is a scene in which the main character bets some of his fellow "inmates" that he can tear this huge, built-in basin made of concrete and steel out of the floor and throw it through the window of the insane asylum so they can escape. Those who bet, obviously don't believe he can do it, but there are a handful of his friends who want to believe that he can. After a few moments of straining and grunting, turning red in the face, he pauses to readjust his stance and his grip. One of the scoffers who bet against him asks, "Givin' up?" To which the main character replies, "Warmin' up! Just warmin' up." And he goes at it again. Why it never occurs to anyone else to step in and help him, I don't know, but that's how I am feeling right now. I'm just warmin' up! And now I'm going to go vote some more. Why don't you do the same?
One of my favorite movies is called One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. There is a scene in which the main character bets some of his fellow "inmates" that he can tear this huge, built-in basin made of concrete and steel out of the floor and throw it through the window of the insane asylum so they can escape. Those who bet, obviously don't believe he can do it, but there are a handful of his friends who want to believe that he can. After a few moments of straining and grunting, turning red in the face, he pauses to readjust his stance and his grip. One of the scoffers who bet against him asks, "Givin' up?" To which the main character replies, "Warmin' up! Just warmin' up." And he goes at it again. Why it never occurs to anyone else to step in and help him, I don't know, but that's how I am feeling right now. I'm just warmin' up! And now I'm going to go vote some more. Why don't you do the same?
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home