Following Instructions
We're now moving into our third week as a class. As I look over the blogs and discussion board posts, I think it makes sense to say something about the importance of following instructions--ALL the instructions. This will help you as well as me in the long run, so it is something you should get used to now. The most significant difference between this class and a traditional class is that we don't meet in the same classroom every day, which means that I am not there to remind you what's due when, and your classmates aren't there to offer you help on things you don't understand. For this reason, our central meeting place is the Honors English web site, and that is where I will post instructions regarding the class. My expectation is that you will read and follow those instructions.
Here is why I am thinking of this right now: I just checked my records (yes, I do keep them...most of the time), and I find that there are 13 people who still have not completed the first four steps of the Honors English process. This is frustrating to me because not only did I discuss the steps (and show you how to do two of them) at the beginning of the month, but they are posted in numerous places all over the class web site; practically any link you follow will lead to those four steps. I don't see how they can be missed...if you read all the instructions, which I suspect many of you are not doing yet. Here we are at midterm, and a significant portion of the class still has not submitted the required material. Yes, I realize that one or two of you have valid excuses, but too many of you have not turned in the application, contract, a blog address, or a discussion post, and these aren't even included in the actual Honors English assignments that are required for the first term. The only way I can remind you to do these things is via the class web site, and the only way you'll get the reminders is if you read it regularly.
It dawns on me as I am writing this that I may be "preaching to the converted." In other words, those of you reading this are most likely the ones who have turned in all the assignments and therefore do not need this little lecture. But maybe you could pass the word around that by the end of the week, everyone needs to be caught up and all the prerequisite assignments need to be turned in.
End of lecture.
Here is why I am thinking of this right now: I just checked my records (yes, I do keep them...most of the time), and I find that there are 13 people who still have not completed the first four steps of the Honors English process. This is frustrating to me because not only did I discuss the steps (and show you how to do two of them) at the beginning of the month, but they are posted in numerous places all over the class web site; practically any link you follow will lead to those four steps. I don't see how they can be missed...if you read all the instructions, which I suspect many of you are not doing yet. Here we are at midterm, and a significant portion of the class still has not submitted the required material. Yes, I realize that one or two of you have valid excuses, but too many of you have not turned in the application, contract, a blog address, or a discussion post, and these aren't even included in the actual Honors English assignments that are required for the first term. The only way I can remind you to do these things is via the class web site, and the only way you'll get the reminders is if you read it regularly.
It dawns on me as I am writing this that I may be "preaching to the converted." In other words, those of you reading this are most likely the ones who have turned in all the assignments and therefore do not need this little lecture. But maybe you could pass the word around that by the end of the week, everyone needs to be caught up and all the prerequisite assignments need to be turned in.
End of lecture.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home